Sunday, July 20, 2008

Conference Review

As the Netroots Nation conference winds down, I feel a renewed sense of purpose in advocating meaningful change in this country. I was able to meet some real leaders, match faces and voices to screen names and eloquent digital rants, and network with other offline activists in the Beltway progressive circuit. I got to see Austin, a city to which I officially want to
move.... or at least visit again soon! And of course, I learned about new organizing tools and enhanced my depth of knowledge in issue areas like energy policy and campaign finance.

Here are some highlights of my experience at NN08:
  • The inspiring speech by Howard Dean Thursday night;
  • Al Gore's impromptu appearance yesterday morning, he is truly a political rock star;
  • The Energize America panel featuring the venerable Jerome a Paris and a trio of top-tier candidates;
  • Sharing a table with Leutisha Stills of Jack and Jill Politics as she vented out loud in advance of what would become a searing critique of the Kos-Harold Ford debate.
  • Getting the chance to hear Larry Lessig, an amazing presenter and former colleague of Obama's at Chicago Law School, now running a groundbreaking ethics reform operation called Change Congress;
  • A panel last evening with Ezra Klein and others about how to capture this unique opportunity for a dominant social democratic movement.
  • And of course, partying hard in the great city of Austin.
Next year in Pittsburgh!

3 comments:

Christopher Colaninno said...

Gore appearance was really cool, as was Lessig's speech.

I guess Bob Barr showing up didn't make your list?

optimo said...

Did you get to see Barr?! It would've been priceless to see him there, but alas I didn't have that kind of good fortune. It sounded like he was only at the "downticket races to watch" panel.

Christopher Colaninno said...

When I went out to write a post I ran into him giving some interviews and holding court in the main hall way.